Announcing An All-New Governor’s Institute For Summer 2013
Special Topics: Farms, Food and Your Future
July 28-August 3
Vermont Technical College
* Updated – now open to 9th through 12th graders! *
APPLY BY MAY 15
A first-ever GIV Special Topics Institute that explores the science, economics, policy, sociology and downright yumminess of everything we eat. Come learn from scholars and professionals in the agricultural, culinary, scientific, business and activism fields during this brand-new residential Institute at Vermont Technical College in summer 2013.
At this Institute, you’ll:
- Interact with local entrepreneurs who are changing Vermont’s edible and economic landscape;
- Get hands on with food production at every stage from farm to plate;
- Explore the ways that food shapes cultures, societies, environments, and economics;
- Debate the pros and cons of local, national and global food policies; and
- Learn about trends and technologies that will change the way our world eats in the coming decades.
Experts from the Vermont Farm-to-Plate Network will be your mentors and guides as we explore where food comes from, dive in depth into the many technical, social and personal questions surrounding food and food systems, and develop realistic future scenarios for Vermont’s edible future. A comprehensive look at food and Vermont’s economy, this interdisciplinary Institute gives students who care about food, economics, socially responsible businesses, public health, or the environment the opportunity to take their creativity and expertise to the next level.
Admissions preference given to students who previously completed a Governor’s Institute in 2010, 2011 or 2012.